Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Puppy Play

We all know how much I love my dog, right?

Well, today I loved him a little less than usual.

I've had a solid chunk of the afternoon off, and prior to my bike workout, I decided to take Junior out and let him play. I took his favorite flimsy frisbee out so we could toss it. Or, as Junior likes to think of "toss", Robyn throws the frisbee and Junior runs around the field with it while I chase him to get it back.

This is what it looks like:
Had I remembered that it rained the last 3 days, I would have definitely rethought the whole playing in the field idea.
I threw it once, and of course Junior took off with it. He found the BIGGEST puddle in the field (which to him was a small lake) and played his favorite game: Sink the frisbee in the middle of the field and stick your head in the puddle to get it.
This is NOT my favorite game.
Half the time, he either leaves the frisbee at the bottom of the puddle or just can't get it because the water is too deep. I'm a loving puppy mommy and all, but I am NOT going in after it. We usually wait about 2 days until the water dries up and then retrieve the frisbee. Today he was all about sinking the frisbee and shoving his head into the cold, smelly water to get it. In fact, it was a little funny watching him frolic through the water.
Finally, he either got cold or bored and made his way out of the water. I was trying to stalk him to get him back under my control (with little luck) when all the sudden, I found LAST year's frisbee! You see, I bought him a frisbee for the last 2 Christmas's. This year, it was to replace last year's that we had lost in the field. And by "lost in the field", I mean Junior sunk it in a puddle and didn't want to get it. We must have forgotten to go back and look for it.
I picked up last year's frisbee and it looked like it had been run over by a lawnmower at least three times, and I'm thinking it probably had. This was the only way I got Junior back because he was all about last year's frisbee.
So now the issue is, I don't want to give Junior a bath because he's getting groomed tomorrow. What a waste of time. So I'm going to have to deal with a smelly, more poodle-looking than usual dog (because of his curls).
Oh well, at least someone had fun.

2 comments:

Eileen Swanson said...

OMG - bad mom ;-) HA! Seriously, did you read how we were so lame and jumped in freezing cold water to get Belle's bumper? Yea we nearly froze, so I guess you're smart not getting in that mud puddle ;-) I totally would, call me crazy or dumb, HA! Have a good one.....

Eileen Swanson said...

UPDATE PLEASE! HAHA!