Friday, July 25, 2008

Monotony Takes Over

Well...I'm 5 weeks out. 5 weeks from now I'll probably be walking around the expo with my new friend Mira. By the way we're now going to be roomies for the weekend in Louisville! I can't wait.

Monotony has taken over my training life. I'm to the point of 2+ hour workouts per day. Its not necessarily the time involvement, but I have learned how lonely Ironman training can be. Last Saturday, the only people interaction I encountered was a passing of the roommate, and a few creepy dudes in the middle of nowhere Tennessee gas stations. It was the day I did my nearly 8 hour ride. When I finished, the last thing I wanted to do was go visit with people, let alone get out of my bed.

It's the summer, and that means people are out and about doing their own things. My friends from school are moving (or have moved already) so they're busy prepping for moving. Or they are finishing up their theses (meaning they're living in an office or library). Or they're working (wonder what that's like?) Basically what it boils down to is that I spend a lot of time alone. Even when my friends are doing something, I'm usually training. Take for example this Sunday. Apparently everyone is playing in a fun softball tournament. I was invited to play, but alas, I have a 7 hour workout. Don't get me wrong, I knew it would happen, but it just hasn't truly hit me until this week.

Enough "feel sorry for Robyn". OK, wait not quite yet. Last night I was doing a 90 minute recovery ride, when I hear "CLANG!" Dang, ran over something medal. DANG! Flat tire. I get off to change it, and I have a nice gash in my tire. COOL. I knew I could change the tire, but I wasn't sure how damaged the tire was. I didn't want to go a half mile down the road and have another flat. I was still about 6 miles from home, so I decided to call my roommate to come pick me up. Avoid the chance of another flat, and a wasted tube.

I just got back from the bike shop, and I'm the proud owner of 2 brand spanking new tires. He said I could get away without buying new ones, but he wouldn't take that chance in an Ironman. I didn't want to be on mile 84 of IM and have a busted tire and not be able to finish. I've invested far too much time on this race. So I bought the tires.

ANYWAY, now enough of feeling sorry for Robyn. I have a 3-ish hour ride and a run off the bike today. And....it's....................HOT. Go figure. Solid weekend of training ahead of me, too. HAPPY TRAINING!!

2 comments:

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

It'll be here before we know it! I can't wait to start tapering!

Gary Z said...

But think how cool that IronMan tat is gonna look when you conquer IM.

You thought about locations for it yet?