Saturday, March 22, 2008

Character Building 101

"Good work on the cold ride. These are the rides that build character - NOT the rides when it's sunny and 70. Those are no brainers. These are brain freezes. You don't forget them." That's what Coach's email was to me when I told her about my ride today.

Brain freeze was an understatement. More like entire body freeze. This includes my phone and Garmin which were working slower than normal upon my return. First let me start out by saying I am home in Northern Kentucky for Easter weekend, and for a mini training trip. I surprised my parents and came up last night. I had a 3:30 hilly ride scheduled. Perfect! I'll be in KY where there are rarely flats. Then I woke up to 40 degree weather. It hit a max of 42 degrees and I finally told myself JUST DO IT.

I put on practically every piece of clothing I brought, and borrowed clothing from my family, and I was off. I mapped out a ride, as I don't normally ride here. Originally I was supposed to go up to Cincy to ride with Mary Sunshine, but we decided it was too cold and windy. Plus she had already ran 16 miles, so I guess I could cut her some slack ;)

Anyway, starting out, it actually wasn't too bad. I mean, yes, I was cold. But not nearly as bad as I expected. I rode the route I mapped out and was pleased with the hills I was riding. They were much more than I'm used to in Memphis, and I was actually riding them pretty well, despite having pretty trashed legs. I got to the point where I didn't know where else I could go, so I turned around. Then the headwinds began. The hills are a bit tougher with a headwind. Soon after, I noticed I couldn't feel my toes. I frequently wiggled them just to see if I still had toes. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. About halfway back is when I started contemplating calling my family to come pick me up. I thought to myself "what happens when I hit mile 80 in Ironman? I can't call anyone...I just have to do it". I pressed on. About a half mile later, I wanted to call again. At this point, my toes were completely numb and I wanted to cry. But I realized the tears would instantly freeze.

I toughed through it and finally reached a street that was only about two miles from my house. Those were the longest two miles I've ever ridden. Of course I hit every red light during those two miles, lengthening my ride even more.

So back to Coach's email. Though the ride was cut nearly 2 hours short, and I only got 22 miles in, it was monumental for me. I ride nearly no hills in Memphis, and never in anything less than 55 degrees. So when I get to mile 80 of the bike, I'll be laughing thinking about this ride today. It will probably be 90 degrees and 100% humidity at that point. I'll be wishing I was on this ride today.

By the Numbers:
Number of snot rockets: 17ish
Number of times I wanted to call for a ride: 459 +/- 13
Number of dogs that barked at me: 5
Number of dogs I thought were going to attack me: 5
Number of gels: 2
Number of water bottles consumed: barely 1...aka not enough
Number of toes I still cannot feel: 1
Number of socks I'm still wearing: 4 (2 pairs)

2 comments:

asanderson said...

Hey I stumbled across your tri blog!!! awsome!! look at mine sometimes too although its not as cool as yours! keep it up!!!

asanderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.