Monday, February 18, 2008

BREAKING NEWS


A train has derailed in Memphis, TN. No injuries are reported, but feelings of remorse are apparent. The cause of the derailment is unknown, but suspected to be related to participation in frequent gatherings that are damaging the train track; known to be the foundation and pathway for the train to make it to future locations. We will interrupt regularly scheduled programming with future details.


Ok, I confess: The only train that has derailed in Memphis, is Robyn's Healthy Eating Habits Train. Man has this past week been completely BLOWN. The culpret? Being on the search committee for the open professor jobs in our department. The candidates are in for 2-3 days and there's 2-3 meals a day possible for me to attend. Now I know you say, why just not go? Don't even tempt yourself! Well, because there are 3 graduate students on the committee. Me and two other guys. One of them is crazy super busy with his thesis on 2 other projects going on in their lab so he rarely gets to come because of appointments with subjects. The other? Yeah, he's cutting weight for a competition in two weeks and honestly, when all you get to eat all day is cucumbers, tuna, and water, why would you want to go sit in front of people eating delicious food? So, that leaves Robyn. And since we want to make a good impression and have as many people attend the meals as possible, that usually means I "get" to go. I'm not completely complaining, because in the past two weeks, I've probably received over $100 in free meals. And most of the time, I am making relatively healthy choices. Portion control, however, becomes an issue.


Needless to say, I went to the grocery store last night and purchased all my normal healthy foods for the week and so far so good today. Too bad its only approaching noon, and I've been successful for a total of.......5 hours! But hey...baby steps right?

1 comment:

Go Mom Go said...

I am so with you...

I have got to get back on the ball. I have not weighed myself in a while because I have just been eating like crap.

Keep it up. At least we both know "what" we should be doing--right??

Laura