Monday, February 11, 2008

The weekend

After my non-training day on Friday, I was really looking forward to my outdoors ride on Saturday. I allowed myself to sleep in, and I'm not going to mention what time I got up because sleeping that late never happens for me! I jumped on the bike about 1:30 and headed out for an hour and a half workout, which included 3 sets of 15 minutes of spinning between 80-95 rpms in my big ring. Since I was supposed to do this on a flat course, I found the closest, long flat road I could. Just happened to be a half mile away, and also happens to be a busy, busy road. You know, 3 lanes of traffic. But many cyclists ride there so its probably where Memphians are slightly observant of cyclist on the roads. Emphasis on SLIGHTLY. Everything went well, until my last set. I really need to get fitted for my bike because I get very uncomfortable easily. I was riding in my aerobars and felt the need to adjust because I was uncomfortable. I should have put my hands in my drop, but thought I could get away with staying in my aerobars. WRONG and wrong. Biomechanics comes into play here (I knew I should have listened harder in class) because my base of support was much narrower in my aerobars...aka no control. My front wheel starts swerving this way and that and I just knew it was coming.......C-R-A-S-H!!! Right off into the grass, luckily, but nonetheless it was a crash. Of course I'm on one of the busiest roads in East Memphis, so I quickly jump up like I meant to fly over my handle bars and bounce twice before landing still with one foot clipped into my pedal....

Well that didn't work. Some dude yelled something at me as he passed. I hope it was "Hey are you ok?" but it was probably "You look like an idiot!" Ahhh people and their bright and sparkly personalities. So I got up, hands shaking from adrenaline, and proceeded to check my bike over. Aparently the adrenaline got to me, because I didn't even think to look at my chain and just hopped on the bike and almost fell over again because my chain had come off! Neat. I realized the only way to get it back on was to put it on by hand. I am good at getting it back on while riding, but I have to be moving. Can't just do it from a stationary position. So I got my hands all greasy (which reminded me I had to clean my chain!) and finished up my set. I have to say, it was much easier to finish the set when epinephrine has been surging through your body.

Finished up the workout with 15 min run off the bike. I felt great! Minus a small side cramp, which eventually subsided, I had a great run. I held a 10 min/mile pace which for me is excellent. Plus I felt good doing it!

Sunday was an interesting day. I went to church and worked in the nursery. Its kind of funny working with 2 yr olds. You know, one randomly pulls his pants down while others are running around screaming and catching bubbles...I love those kids. The service was absolutely amazing yesterday. The music is always awesome, but yesterday just ROCKED. Also, the message was about avoiding temptation, so I used what I learned when I went to the grocery store after service, while hungry....never a good option. But I did fairly well :)

I actually didn't come home and nap! That was a first in a long time. I started laundry and some random cleaning. I did take about a one hour nap because I had to go babysit for a small group, which included 6 children, 5 of which were under the age of 3. I knew I'd be worn out so I rested before. It was fun, but tiring!

I came home and did my friday workout, which was an hour spin and some upper body lifting, which proved hard when you're low on energy. I finished and made a great dinner.

Now on to a week of work, training, and interviews for this position in our department. Not me, unfortunately, but I'm on a search committee to fill the open prof positions. I am very thankful to be a part of it, but it does take a lot of time! Oh well. Its not like I can't manage my time....

1 comment:

Jen in Budapest said...

I'm looking forward to increasing the quality and quantity of my workout times. This past Saturday I did the closest I've done to what race day will be like in July. I did a 40 min bike/20 min swim/35 min run. I know it's novice, but big for me.

Anyways, hope you have a great week!