Thursday, February 7, 2008

Still Alive and kicking, running, swimming, biking, etc.

So by now I'm sure you've heard of the utter destruction and devastation that occured in Memphis on Tuesday...oh and also the storms and tornadoes ;)

It got pretty hairy there for a while, with straight line (as opposed to diagnol or curvy??) winds reaching nearly 80 mph right outside my window. Of course I had the blinds open, nose to glass watching it all. I did spend 4 years in Kansas....

I was even training during it. I had to get that hour spin in sometime! Think of me as the wicked witch riding thru the tornado....

So anyway, amidst my Floridian roommate freaking out and Junior barking at the rain (???) it wasn't bad around us. There were several funnel clouds very close, and even a few touchdowns, but the worst of the damage was in South Memphis where a warehouse collapsed, and a wall of Sears was ripped off. OF COURSE, because we live in Memphis, the biggest problem was looting! Seriously? SERIOUSLY?! People lost their lives and you're looking to score a flatscreen with mud and leaves stuck to it? Some of the people in Memphis amaze me.

Union University in Jackson, TN (about 45min-1 hour away) was by far hit the hardest. Dorms collapsing, cars tossed around like hot wheels, and people trapped for hours. I can't even imagine. One of my good friends here went to Union and its just crazy that something like that happened. Please keep everyone around the mid-south in your prayers. They certainly need it.

Beyond the tornadoes fearing the mighty Robyn and staying far, far away, nothing much is new. Training, surprise surprise. I'm having a great week. I swam Monday and yesterday, and besides some slight shoulder issues, I feel incredibly strong in the water. I actually, almost, feel like a swimmer! I'm not "fast" by any means compared to a real swimmer, but I feel really efficient and strong. During sets, I maintain very consistent paces, even at the end of a long set. So that's good.

Just thought I'd leave you with one of the best You Tube videos out there...my amazing KU swimming and diving team, performing Thriller for Jayrock...WATCH IT and be amazed...after all, its not often you see swimmers with rhythm....

4 comments:

Theoutofshapeguy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theoutofshapeguy said...

Glad to hear you are safe!

When I was living in lawrence, I only remember one tornado. I slept right through it until my future mother in law called me freakin out. The guys in my frat and I ended up sitting in front of the big screen and huge plate glass window watching it on tv! My 1st and last tornado party! Oh the memories!

Iron Jayhawk said...

Yowza! I'm glad you're safe and how totally awesome that you trained during it! Like Mike, the last Tornado I was in was senior year at KU ('03). West Lawrence was hit pretty badly but the campus was okay thankfully. I can't imagine that type of damage. And the looters?! Ugh. How awful. I did read that they found an 11 month old alive yesterday--hopefully they'll continue to find survivors. Stay tough and keep on truckin'!

Jen in Budapest said...

Wow...I am so out of the loop. I get BBC news so I didn't even hear about the Memphis stuff but I have friends in Nashville and one of them recently posted on Facebook some pictures from helping bring relief to a tornado area. I see the connection. Wow, is everyone you know alright? Jen