Sunday, December 16, 2007

Add it to the list

So you're always supposed to try new things, right? Well, this is what you need to know leading up to last night. When I moved in August, I had about 3 loads of dirty laundry that I just didn't get time to do at my old place. It took us about 3 weeks to get our washer and dryer here, so that 3 loads built up to probably 6-7. Every week I would do on average 3 loads of laundry, but run out of time during the week to catch up. So, by the end of the week I was right back where I started: 6-7 loads.

This brings me to last night. I was originally supposed to go home today, but decided to wait a day because of the weather...well that was my secondary reason...the primary reason being I wasn't packed! Surprise! I wanted to get all my laundry done before I left for home. I knew it would take me 3 days to get all those loads done, and my roommates were both trying to do laundry yesterday.

Here's the part of "adding it to the list" meaning the list of things I've never done before. I went to a laundromat. Shocking I know. How can I be almost 24 and never been to one? Well, obviously had one at home until age 18. Then I was a spoiled Kansas student who had a nice laundry facility in the basement of my dorm (I wouldn't technically consider it a laundromat, b/c there weren't creepy people and it was clean). Then I've always lived in houses/apartments with a washer and dryer in them. So here I am. I googled a laundromat in Bartlett because I was going to be up that way. I found what seemed like a decent one. Nice part of town, on a nice road. No problem!

Well, I drove past it 3 times because the place had a horrible sign advertising it. That should have been my first clue. I finally found it, and started taking my two overflowing laundry baskets AND a garbage bag full of clothes inside. People were staring at me. I was bring dirty laundry to a laundromat...there's not weird about that people! Well, it turns out, nearly half the machines were "out of order"...neat. Wouldn't it make sense to have twice as many machines working?? No? Ok. Then there were some interesting things on the floor. 37 used dryer sheets, several used cups...random puddles of water. COOL. I would have just left but I really didn't want to put all that laundry back in my car...unless it was clean. So I started.

Long story short.... TEN FREAKIN LOADS OF LAUNDRY. TEN?!?!?!?!? I didn't even realize I owned that many clothes! Ok to be fair, 2.5 loads were towels, and one full load was workout stuff. So that leaves 6.5 loads of clothes. WOW. I saw clothes I forgot I had because I hadn't worn them since August! That was a little exciting.

Anyway, I met a nice guy who's money wouldn't go into the change machine, so I switched change for a crumply $5. Then he tried to buy detergent, and after giving it 3 times the amount of quarters, I offered my detergent. He was nice...maybe just a little creepy. Creepy people all over.

Lesson learned: Keep up on my laundry!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Go Mom Go said...

wait until you have kids...

Laundry is an everyday thing, with my 4 kids and all the workout clothes I have a minimum of 2 loads a day...minimum. :) Usually closer to 4 or the laundry is taking over.

Hope you have a safe trip home!!

Laura

Mary Sunshine said...

The thing that amazes me about laundramats...is that despite the filthy appearance of the building and machines....they get the clothes REALLY clean! Even cleaner than my home machine.....

;-)