Monday, April 7, 2008

A Jayhawk living in a jungle of Tigers

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!!!!!!!

So I've only been threatened twice so far today, and its 9:30. I'd say that's pretty good. Rocking my Jayhawk stuff, surrounded by Memphians who are all the sudden excited because their team is doing well. I'm not trying to call Memphis fair weather fans....but I am.

I definitely wish I was in Lawrence today. I guarantee you can't get into any bar in Lawrence at this point. I know that, because I was in Lawrence the last time the Jayhawks went to the championship game. It was a BLAST.

Training this weekend was good and bad. Saturday, I decided to go on a group ride. I show up and there's nearly 200 other cyclists. Is this a normal group ride??? I asked someone, and turns out it was actually the spring kick off ride, which was a benefit for Livestrong. Sweet! I paid $20, got a nice shirt and lots of free stuff (well worth the $). You could ride 35 or 75 miles. At first I thought, ok I'll do the 75, but once it became time to go left or right, I decided to go with the group I had been riding with because I was able to keep up with them. They were doing 35 (thank goodness). I met a nice lady named Lisa, who is doing IM Florida this year. We exchanged numbers and are going to start riding together.

*Note* Apparently there ARE hills near Memphis, because I climbed 1400 feet in those 35 miles. So that's good news. Bad news, I have to drive 25 minutes just to get to them. But worth it.

Sunday, since I had missed some training during the week due to a birthday celebration, I decided to get a solid 3 hour workout in. That is, until, my body thought otherwise. Sunday is normally my slug day...where I don't do anything that requires my HR to go higher than, say, 120bpm. I rode to school (about 7.5 miles) and thought I was going to die on the hills (note: the hills are really not even hills, I was just riding on trashed legs). Got to the pool and started to swim. I felt like I had 100 lb dumbbells tied to each limb. My moderate pace all the sudden was my normal slow pace, and my fast was my normal moderate pace. I felt like I was swimming through pudding. Kinda kinky, but not good for the training. Knowing I had to ride home, and I had a decently rough week ahead, I called it quits only 1/3rd of the way through the workout. 1,000 yards. NEAT. What's funny is coach had a similar swim this weekend. That makes it ok, right??

I got home from the S-L-O-W ride back, and collapsed on my bed for an hour. Last night, Brian, Leslie, J Row, Corey and I went to Joel Osteen. I love being refreshed like that. Its just a good day today. Well, besides the fact I just looked at my bank account and determined I'm very very poor. When does my real job start????

1 comment:

Iron Jayhawk said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WEAR THAT CRIMSON AND BLUE PROUDLY!!!