Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Stop the Presses!

I have trained two days in a row! I know, I know. Pretty amazing, considering the past week I've had with little to no training. Yesterday I had a 30 minute recovery run...pretty comical considering the only thing I had to recover from was walking in to the rec center. Then a swim. A 70.3 lactate set. Not my cup of tea for the first swim back, but it could have been way worse.

Today I got up and did a 1:30 ride on my trainer, including 30 minutes in zone 3. My HR might have been in zone 3, but I'm pretty sure my legs were somewhere between zone 12 and about to fall off. I wanted to stop so badly after 10 minutes of it, but I knew that would be the absolute wrong thing to do. The devil on my right shoulder said "my excuse is that I'm getting over being sick and I need to ease into it". The angel on my left shoulder said "that was yesterday, suck it up". Then the angel ripped off the halo and threw it at the devil. This is what happens when I've been alone training all morning.

I had a 15 min run off the bike. I was kind of nervous, because although it was BEAUTIFUL outside, there was still a bit of a morning chill. With the way my breathing has been lately, with the sickness and asthma, I was nervous. But I went for it. Go hard or go home, right? I had a pretty fantastic run. It wasn't super fast, like I normally feel off the bike, but it didn't feel as bad as yesterday. I ran pretty close to a 10 min/mile pace, even though I can't confirm that (didn't wear my Garmin). I'd like to think it was a steady pace.

So I just read on my friend Running Jayhawk's blog that she and her husband drove the Kansas 70.3 bike course this weekend. Apparently it is kind of hilly. I thought, and was hoping, they were kidding. So...I suppose its hill training for me from now on. *sigh* And apparently I have to train extra hard because Barb plans on me pulling her up the hills. Catch me if you can Barb!

No comments: