Monday, January 7, 2008

How do you study for a fitness test?

So let me start by saying, yeah I fell off the face of the earth for a few days. Getting out of my house and back to Memphis was a little more time (and energy) consuming than I thought. So I've been recovering, cleaning, running errands, etc. All in all, I made it back to Memphis and I'm ready for school to start.

So back to my question......

Answer: You don't.

This week is test week for Robyn. Let me tell you how excited I was to hear that. No matter how in shape you are, an all out test is always hard.....painful.....gut-wrentching.....etc. Today was the swim portion. I had a 1000 warmup choice then 10 100's ALL OUT with ten seconds rest. Yes. As in sprinting all out for 1000 yards. This took me back to my one full year of USA swimming. Kicking my own ass in the pool. Honestly it wasn't too bad. I say that now of course. The first three 100's were really hard, just knowing I had seven of them left. Also, trying to get into the all out rhythm was hard. Numbers 4-7 I rocked. Felt so smooth in the water. Everything felt great. Yeah...I can do this! Then number 8 (and 9 and 10) happened. FATIGUE. Yeah that's a killer. But once I was finished, I felt so accomplished. And I only cursed my coach's name once! (Then I remembered her blog from today, talking about how races are won in the winter, and you have to suck it up and tough out the pain). There's no getting around the pain. Unless you want to finish last, then you can just trot along and avoid the pain. Sure go ahead. But I'll be the one already sitting down, eating and drinking while you're crossing the finish line (in pain) :) That's just how I roll.

1 comment:

Go Mom Go said...

so...how did you do? :)