Monday, January 21, 2008

Time for a Rant

Or as Courtney calls it: Robo's Rants.

Now I'm not a super complainer these days. I have a lot to be thankful for. With that said, I have a complaint. I go to the grocery store every Sunday after church. Since my New Year's resolution was to stick to my budget, I have given myself $50 a week for groceries. Most "normal" people can do this and even have money left over. But I never claimed to be normal.

You see, I'm an athlete. Athlete's eat healthy. I eat healthy. Healthy food is expensive. I pay lots of money for healthy food. I think that equation goes something like this:

If A=B and B=C, then A=C. But then C gets jacked up because of oil prices and makes A go over her food budget. I blame Bush.

Anyway, enough math for the day. So anyway, I bet I didn't make it out of the produce section and I already had half my budget. I got one green bell pepper and one cucumber. Not so bad. Probably $1.25 so far. Then....................the fruit. Oh the fruit. A bag of clementines is like buying gold: $7.99 a bag! Now that bag will last me quite a while, but still! Then, grapes. Another product laced in gold. $2.98 a pound. And they shove as many grapes as they can into one bag. I think my grapes alone cost me $9!! Got some nectarines, which weren't too bad, relatively speaking. So what...I'm up to at least $20!! I could live on fruits and vegetables, but I don't think my intestines would like me very much....

Of course I buy whole grains. My bread cost me about $4 for a loaf, but again I don't eat much bread so it will last me nearly 2 weeks. Soy milk...I don't even want to talk about it. Yogurt, that's a steal, but again I can't eat just yogurt. I got a few more necessities, and then I realized I was out of conditioner, which means I will shortly be out of shampoo. Also, I'm out of hair spray. Since I grew up in a pool, and my hair is still most likely 48% chlorine, I get the expensive stuff so my hair doesn't fall out. Kind of a preventitive thing. Well throw another $40 on the bill. Oh yeah, my hairspray is expensive too!

All in all, I spent.................well I don't want to talk about it. But let's just say I went severely over my budget. I ranted to my mother via text messages, but I am still livid. Here's another equation for you (I know, I said the math was done, but this is a good one)

If Americans are obese, and healthy food is expensive while the cheap food is loaded with simple carbs, sugar, fat, processed junk, sugar, sugar, and sugar, then America is going to get OBESER. Oh, that's not a word, but I think it made the point clear.

I'm so annoyed. If you couldn't tell. One thing that sticks with me from the head swim coach at Kansas (Clark Campbell) it is "You put crap in, you get crap out. So eat healthy and you'll train and compete well". Although he usually shortened this to "Crap in....crap out". Well friends, I'm trying to do the right thing! But its costing me a small fortune that I could be saving up to buy a bike!!!

Moral of the story: When's the election?

1 comment:

Chris said...

were your clementines tasteless, cause the ones we have at work that most likely came from the same Kroger sure were....