Thursday, January 31, 2008

Stuck in Transition

This week is a recovery week. YAY! Except I feel as if I don't deserve it because I was sick during my intense week last week, and ended up missing 2 days of workouts. So really I'm not recovering from much. So anyway, this week I'm trying to remind myself of the love of the sport(s). I haven't lost my drive or passion for tri's, its just been an off week. It's a recovery week so I'm not doing intense intervals or speedy workouts. Mostly easy recovery type things. Obviously.

Also its been a "blah" week at work. Talking to my roommate yesterday I determined I'm bored at work. Last year, we had two studies going on for the whole year and I was constantly training people while doing computer work in between. Since we finished the Parkinson's study in July, we haven't had anything to replace it. Not that we (by "we" I mean the boss) haven't been trying, but BKS is writing grants like crazy. The only problem is, they just don't give $100,000 grants out like candy. Super competitive, especially to the places he's submitting to. So, we wait. And while we wait, all I have to do is computer work. Research various things, make up spreadsheets of article after article related to possible future studies, reading said articles, looking up articles, etc. Not that I don't love my job or this area in general, but just getting a bit burnt out on the nitty gritty things involved in research. As time consuming and tiring as the training of 25-30 subjects a week gets, it gets me moving around and out of this chair!

As much as we don't want work to interfere with training, it does. Let's take yesterday for example. I had a 45 min run followed by a 1 hour bike planned. I mean to do the run early, before bible study, but slept thru my alarm. Oops. Ok, no big deal, I'll do it in the evening. Well, I got home from a very unproductive day at work and all I wanted to do was sleep. Even after two cups of coffee yesterday, twice as much as I usually have. So I layed down for an hour. I woke up to darkness, and immediately realized I'd be doing my run on the treadmill...dammit! Its not that I wasn't motivated to do the workout and I even wanted to, its just my body and mind weren't working in harmony. Body says: eat, sleep, drink coffee while Mind says: train, train, train! Those two don't mix. Unless you count the espresso flavored gels.....then yes, they do mix.

Coach put up next week's workout and it has me excited. Harder intervals, more training time, and longer workouts actually have me excited.....I'm a sick minded person, just like the rest of you crazy tri people. So hopefully after this week of lull in my life, I can get back on the "YAY FOR TRAINING!!!!" bandwagon. My mind is there....but my body is stuck in transition.

3 comments:

Jen in Budapest said...

Well, it sounds like you needed the recovery. I think it's so good....that's something this minimally experienced woman is learning...that those moments of rest actually make you stronger for the future....so, you'll be back on it next week...good for you to rest.

Mary Sunshine said...

It's fine to enjoy the tough trainings...really, it is!

The journey is the important thing, right?

Jen in Budapest said...

Robyn...
thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it. Jen