Thursday, October 11, 2007

Definition of Memphis drivers

Idiotic (id-ee-ot-ik) adjective

1. Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an idiot.
2. Senselessly foolish or stupid.
3. Driving style of Memphians.

Memphis drivers are idiotic.


I've always known this, but yesterday was one of the worst riding experiences yet. I decided to go for about a 20 mile ride, just to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather. I rode a pretty normal route for me, which entails riding on a pretty busy road. It was probably my mistake to ride at 5pm, but I would only be on the busy road for a few miles. I had probably 3 cars beep at me to tell me to get off the road...awesome. Not to mention people buzzing past me in the SAME lane going about 50mph. Neat. Ok I deal with that kind of stuff all the time. So I said a little prayer and kept going.

Well, the real kicker was when I reached the point in my ride where I get to ride in a bike lane. There aren't that many in Memphis, so I get pretty excited when I don't have to fear for my life as much. Again, the traffic was a little heavier than normal because it was rush hour. Let me reiterate that I was riding in a bike lane. This is a very residential neighborhood, so there are side streets every few hundred feet. Well, an older woman comes up behind me and has to drive past me (as I'm in the BIKE LANE) to turn onto a side street to my right. She comes up right next to me so we are side-by-side coming up on a side street. I just thought she was slowing down because she was riding next to a cyclist. NOPE. Of course not. This is where the definition comes in...She turns onto the street anyway, and narrowly misses me by about 2 feet! She HAD to see me because she came up from behind me! I threw my arms up in the air and yelled, only to realize it didn't do any good. IDIOTIC MEMPHIS DRIVERS. I was so frustrated I held a 23 mph pace for the next 3 miles. So in a way, it was good, but not really because I almost died! *sigh* do I have a target on my back when I ride??

Idiotic
1. Driving style of Memphians.

No comments: