Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dedicated to Corky and Jules

Last night's workout was around 5 miles, and included 4x1 mile repeats. Our course included running around the Agricenter. I had a volleyball game at Hope at 8, so I didn't want to get there early and go home, only to leave shortly after. So I got to the workout at 6 and it was already getting dark. While running, I realized how the workout was symbolic of what the next year will bring me.

When the 1 mile loop first starts, you just run around the parking lot, and its about .35 miles long and you end up where you started. Sometimes training is like this...you feel like you are just running/biking/swimming in circles. But you keep going.

Next, the loop starts to go around the building. Its well lit and there's a lot of things to look at. Again, training is like this. You can see where you are going...you see whats up ahead. You are very aware of what's going on around you. This is a comfortable part of training.

The loop ends by going around the other side of the building...where all the lights outside the building are burnt out (or not on) and you can't even see your hand in front of your face. A good portion of the run is on this side of the building. You can't see whats on the road in front of you. I'm sure most people have experienced training like this: You have no clue what you're doing or where you're going. You could run right into a hole and twist your ankle...but you take that risk. You kind of want to just stop and say "what am I doing? I can't even see where I'm going". But you don't. You continue, because you trust your training, even though you have become distracted and can't see your goal up ahead of you. This isn't a fun part of training, but I think many (if not all) people experience it at some point.

Training for an IM, so I've heard, is one of the most difficult, time consuming, and trying times in an athlete's life. You have to dedicate so much time, energy, and feelings to this one race. You could feel like you're running in circles, like you're not going anywhere or gaining anything from all the training. You could feel like you're running in a well-lit area and everything is going so well in your training. Or you could feel like you're running in complete darkness and you can't see where you're going or what you're doing...and you just want to stop and give up. But something....something keeps you going. That drive and determination that endurance athletes have to race a ridiculous distance is unlike any other. Sure, all athletes have that will and want when it comes to athletics, but the desire to keep going, when you've already gone 100 miles, and you still have 40.6 miles left....THAT is pure passion for the sport.

Good luck at IMFL Corky and Jules!!!

1 comment:

Michele said...

I can't believe how nervous I am for Court and Julie!! If I'm this bad for them, I'll be a wreck when I'm the one actually racing.