Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Just.....be.

What a fantastic day I had! Way too many reasons why, but just believe me :)

Tonight, however, I was so tired. I didn't sleep well last night, and didn't nap because Wednesdays are my late work days because of Bible Study in the morning. I got home, and the last thing I wanted to do was get on my trainer. There was only about an hour of daylight left, and I still had to get ready and air my tires. It was getting pretty cloudy and I knew rain was coming... "Great, my excuse will be its going to rain". Checked the radar...Not for a while! Well, can't use that excuse!!

So, I thought to myself....what would an Ironman do?? GET ON THE FREAKIN BIKE AND RIDE!!! That's what an Ironman would do. So, I sucked it up, realizing in the next year I'll be this tired (or more) many, many more times, so I better get used to it. What else was I going to do? Lay on my bed and watch Oprah...and fall asleep for way longer than I should. Then I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. So, I thought I should use my time wisely and train.

I started out and though I'd try to get a solid 45 minutes in, probably between 10 and 12 miles. I'm definitely in the IM thinking of "That's not even worth putting on my bike clothes and getting on my bike!" But, I knew that I needed to. I told myself I'd ride once a week until the marathon is over, just to stay cycling-active (I'm not sure you can hyphenate those two words...oh well, its my blog, I can do what I want....So, don't judge me!). Anyway, getting off track...I rode and after about 25 minutes, and with it getting darker and more clouds coming, I thought I should turn around and head back. Although I felt great. I've had so much running through my mind today (just ask my bible study ladies - I just starting spewing out stories/info/questions today!). It was so liberating to be on that bike, in perfect weather and not have to think about things. That's one reason I love to train...its MY TIME. I can get away from all the worries of the world, and just be.....

You know, I was trying to think of a good word to describe how I feel when I'm training, but it is "be"...when I'm hammering on the bike, or only hearing the sound of my feet on the pavement at 5am....that's all I am. So, try it...Just BE.

1 comment:

Go Mom Go said...

You know, it is really good to have a mantra while you train. "Just be" is a pretty good one! Have fun with it! :)

Laura