Monday, October 1, 2007

What is the world coming to??

Last night as I was going to bed, I had the news on. I hear coming in as breaking news that someone had been shot and killed on my campus, not too far from my building. Neat. Well, I tried to stay up to hear about it, but I failed.

This morning I woke up as normal, thinking its a usual Monday morning. I got all ready (even got dressed up cute!) and left. Just after I turned out of my complex, I hear on the radio that classes are cancelled at school today. I figured it was about the shooting, so I called my boss. Sure enough, they cancelled classes because it had been a football player and they were highly investigating the incident. Realizing my bulletproof vest was being drycleaned, I decided to head on back home for the day. Definitely took advantage of this day off and went back to sleep!

I have been receiving text messages all day asking if I'm alright, seeing as how shootings on university campuses have been happening more often. Everyone is saying "oh I'm so sorry". Well thank you. It's sad and my condolences go out to Taylor Bradford's family. But what REALLY worries me, is how unaffected I am by all this. I heard about it last night, and after the initial shock, it was like "ok, what next". It's so sad that I feel this way, and that's what upsets me the most. Recently, the city of Memphis won something. A number one ranking in the nation for most violent crimes. I guess the hoodlums in this town are trying to show the rest of the world how proud they are for this "achievement".

Meanwhile...back to training tonight. Shorter technical workout scheduled for this evening..then volleyball!

No comments: